Monday, January 22, 2024

Mom's Stroke and the Likely Challenges to Come



My mother fell and broke her hip recently at home. I had to persuade her over the phone to call her stepdaughter Karen to come check on her. Karen came and, with the help of the local fire department, got her in the car and drove her to the hospital where it was promptly determined that she had, indeed, fractured her hip.

Soon after that, she had hip replacement surgery, and then, soon after that, she had a stroke. It was her second over the past several months, and it seemed to have a similar effect to her previous one, affecting chiefly the left side of her body, mostly above the waist. But whereas the previous stroke was mild enough that she was able to largely regain most of the functions she initially lost, it seems that the effects of this one may be permanent. She seems to have largely lost the ability to use her left hand, and that may not change. This and other physical deficits resulting from her strokes may not allow her to continue living at home even semi-independently. And this, of course, raises momentous questions about her long-term residence and care that she, Karen, and I are now contemplating.

I think major changes lie ahead not only for Mom but also for me. So I'd best prepare myself for them to the fullest extent possible so I can be the best son, husband, and all-around person I can be throughout the likely challenges to come.

No comments: