Saturday, October 10, 2009

Introducing Yet Another New Blog

I just kicked off a new blog today and posted my first entry to it. The blog is titled Freedom or Necessity?

I know what you're thinking: "That guy has had other blogs that fizzled out after a few posts. Why should this one be any different?"

Well, it should be different because it's about something I've been interested in since I was a teenager. It's the issue of free will vs. determinism. Are we free to will what we do or only to do as we will? That is, when we will something, were we free to will anything else at that time, or did we have to will what we did given our nature at that time?

This is one of the thorniest and most enduring and engaging issues in the history of philosophy, and it draws upon all kinds of philosophical and scientific disciplines for answers. I want to learn more about what those disciplines have to say on the matter and report and reflect on what I've learned in my blog.

I've posted several commentaries here on what I currently believe regarding the issue, but, let's face it, I'm an ignoramus when it comes to all this stuff. I've been talking off the top of my head instead of marshaling strong rational arguments and adducing persuasive empirical findings to back my airy speculations.

It's time for a change, and my new blog will usher in that change. I hope you'll check it out, like what you see, and take your shoes off and sit a spell.

4 comments:

Coonhound said...

Congragulations on the new blog. Nice start.

One thing... I'm not able to post a comment there. It would seem that it has something to do with my phone and how the blog is set up. I was able to view the first post, but it never prompts me anywhere to leave a comment in the way your other blogs do...on this blog all the necessary info to post immediately appears at the bottom. Also, when I place the curser on "Post A Comment" on the first page of the new blog nothing happens or I mean I am unable to click on it to do so.

Steve said...

Coonhound, I wish I were computer and Blogger savvy enough to be able to tell you what the problem is and how to fix it, but I'm not. I've even had trouble myself posting a comment there in reply to the good Dr. Dr., although I finally was able to do it from IE instead of Firefox and with ZoneAlarm disabled. If I can come up with a solution to your problem, I'll let you know. In the meantime, if you have comments for me, don't be shy about e-mailing them to me. I'd like your feedback on my posts.

Coonhound said...

Nag,

I believe the issue would be found in the formatting or preferences that you selected when building the blog. BC I have no problems here posting. Isn't that new blog done with google/blogger too?

Steve said...

Yes, it is, Coonhound.