Saturday, December 29, 2007

Meeting With My Job Coach

I met with my vocational rehab counselor and a job coach the other day. It was my first time with the job coach. I tried to explain my situation to her as best I could, but I'm not sure how well I did or how well she ended up understanding where I'm coming from. And even if she understood extremely well, there is still the daunting challenge of figuring out how to help me succeed in the workplace.

What can anyone really do to help me succeed? The absolute ideal would be to simulate a medical records file room in a large health service institution and pair me with a medical records professional who could patiently walk me through all the duties of my job, painstakingly explain to me the hows, whats, and whys of each duty and of the entire medical records system, and then drill me rigorously on accomplishing virtually any task and solving virtually any problem likely to arise on the actual job. There's no chance of that or of getting even remotely close.

Still, I will try to benefit as much as I can from the extra help.

No comments: