Monday, August 29, 2005

Life's Purpose

I joined a new online forum today. It looks small but promising. Why did I join a new forum when I'm already entangled in too many? Because I wanted to try something new, and what better way to try it than in a new place? What new thing am I trying? To post messages as clear, concise, and direct as I can make them. No wasted words, no superfluous ideas. Just the nitty gritty. Absolute economy of thought and expression.

I posted three messages there this morning. The first addressed the general issue of crime and punishment and replied to a particular post asking for "one reason" why sadistic murderers should live. Here is what I said:
Should we punish with death a man with cancer for his tumors, a blind man for being unable to see, a man with potent desires to torture and murder and with no conscience to inhibit him from following through for torturing and murdering?
My second post agreed with someone who wrote that he opposed the death penalty because of the harm it did to those who carried it out. I simply quoted Roger Ebert's perfect words on the matter:
The most compelling argument against capital punishment, for me, is not that society should not execute, but that society should not make anyone into an executioner.
Finally, I reponded to the question of the purpose of life with the following:
I believe that my life's purpose is to be happy. And I believe that happiness is being and doing the best that we can be and do for ourselves, others, and the world.

I don't presume to speak for what others should consider to be their life's purpose. But they're welcome to adopt mine if they wish.
I think I'm off to a good start in that forum. I wonder if others will agree. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nagarjuna, I've been searching around for ugliness related blogs to get some ideas and possibly trade links with. I found this entry (Life's Purpose) in my search so I thought I'd post a quick note to let you know. Anyway I have a new blog called Ugly Blog, so feel free to check it out but don't feel obligated. Take care - Eric