Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Fire and Other Bad News


Yesterday, my wife and I went out for our evening walk. We immediately saw smoke pouring into the sky from somewhere nearby and heard the wail of sirens. We walked toward the smoke and discovered that a fire was raging at the local park, consuming the extensive wooden playground equipment that was a source of pride to the community and great pleasure to countless children since 1992. It was clear even then that the fire was too big and had spread too rapidly to have happened by accident, and the Sacramento Bee this morning confirms that it was, indeed, a case of arson.

Why would someone do that? What should happen to him if he's caught? The massive playground was the first community playground in Sacramento and had been built by hundreds of volunteers at the cost of $111,000. At the very least, the person responsible for burning it down should have to foot the cost of rebuilding it and pay for deploying firefighters and police to the scene, even if his paycheck has to be garnished for the rest of his life to do it. Two other arson fires also happened close by around the same time, and a pickup truck was seen speeding away from one of them. I hope they catch this person before a house burns or someone gets hurt.

As my wife and I continued our walk, we passed by the mayor's house. She was out watering in the front yard. We said "Hi" to each other. I wanted to tell her about the fire, but I didn't. I told myself that she either already knew about it or would find out soon enough, and that, in any case, she didn't want to talk with a nobody like me. But I wish I had told her anyway.

Before I went to bed, I checked my e-mail and read a shocking and very sad message from a friend about her mother having died recently and with unexpected suddenness from a ruptured brain aneurysm. My friend lost her father to a heart attack in May of last year, was diagnosed with lymphoma eight months later, and has now lost her mom. How can life deal some people so much misfortune over such a short time? And how can those individuals get through it? Some don't. It's just too much for them. But I think my friend will make it. She's a strong, wise, and good person with family and friends who love her and are there for her.

But, still, it ain't gonna be easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words Steve. I am very blessed to have people around me that can help carry my burden with me. I don't know about strong or wise right now though. Everything is very muddled in the head but, the old saying, that which does not kill you makes you stronger applies very much here.

I am really not seeing this as any kind of misfortune. Yes, it's very sad but it's all part of life and sometimes it is unfair. In time all will be right with the world, so I will keep on keeping on, like you say and things will work according to the plan set in place for me. Thank you for being there when I need a shoulder or a venting place. It is a lot easier when you have people, such as yourself, that you can rely on when you need some comfort. I am blessed that I have such people in my life. I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.

The playground you spoke of in your first part are they taking donations that I could perhaps send something to them to get started for replacement? Let me know and I would be more than happy to contribute something, maybe even time, when and if they decided to rebuild.

I'm now going to be giving you grief about your comment on your mayor. She is your elected person for the city where you are. NEVER think you are a nobody compared to anyone. All she holds is a title and the office of mayor in your city, this doesn't mean you are inferior to her. Or anyone else for that matter. You are certainly not a nobody in my eyes and probably in the eyes of many others. Don't sell yourself short my friend. Allright, my chastising has been done for the evening or early morning, and I must rest my tired eyes for the night. I will talk to you soon.