Sunday, June 28, 2020

Pandemic Party Perils



I've been deeply concerned about the Covid pandemic ever since it struck. I follow news and research on the disease pretty closely, and I'm very mindful of the physical, psychological, economic, and societal damage the disease can cause and of the grave threat it poses especially to the health, well-being, and very lives of people such as myself.

So, I'm disappointed and distressed over the fact that someone very dear to me attended a party yesterday in which if anyone there happened to be infected with Covid-19 and was able to spread it, I don't see any way in hell that she wouldn't catch it too and gravely endanger not only her own health and life but also mine as well as the health and lives of others with whom she comes in contact after her infection.

I guess I'm not as distressed over this as I could and arguably should be. Is it because I don't think anyone at the party was infected and, therefore, neither she nor I nor anyone else will be harmed by her attending that party? Or is it because I just don't care anymore? Or I no longer care enough about what happens to her, to me, or to anyone else? And how much does she care that she placed and kept herself for hours in a situation of which she knows full well the profound dangers?

I feel sad, perplexed, and troubled over what happened yesterday and over how I feel (and don't feel) about it today. I'll also keep my fingers figuratively crossed that the person dear to me, everyone at that party, and I dodged lightning this time and that we never place or find ourselves again in the precarious situation we're in now.

No comments: