Saturday, June 24, 2006

No Test Today

I was supposed to take my medical coding certification test this morning. I cancelled after taking a practice test a few days ago. I scored well on the test. But I took far longer to complete it than the allotted five hours, and I hurried through it at that. There's no way I could pass it now, and, thus, no go reason to take it now. I did well in the coding course I recently completed. I thought I was ready. But my problem is that I'm too slow. Accurate, but slow. I'm not sure how I'm going to build my speed. Practice, I guess. Practice and more practice, pushing myself every step of the way to go faster...faster.

I don't know why there's such an emphasis placed on speed. We're hurrying through life, trying to do more and more in less and less time. A vital aspect of
Eknath Easwaran's spiritual path is to "slow down." But how can we when everyone and everything is pushing us to go fast? Even a certification exam for a profession in which accuracy is paramount seems to be asking for impossibly fast performance. Well, it's obviously not impossible for everybody. Lots of people have passed the exam. I hope I can find a way to make myself one of them in September. In the meantime, I will try to follow the famous advice of the immortal John Wooden: "Be quick but don't hurry."

No comments: