Thursday, June 22, 2006

Chris Angel and Other Matters

Last night, I watched Chris Angel's show Mindfreak for the first time. It won't be my last. He did some amazing things. In fact, "amazing" is a huge understatement. He "levitated" in a number of settings both indoor and out including from the roof of one tall buidling to another with people standing below him watching in awestruck disbelief. How did he do it? I don't really want to know. I want to be able to entertain, in the perpetual child portion of my mind, the fantastic notion that there really IS magic that overrides the laws of physics and that some extraordinary human beings among us are capable of performing it. But how DID he do that levitation trick?

My wife went for a job interview today, and it looks like she may get the job. I'm so proud of her! She's self-conscious about her English and was very nervous going to that interview. But she sucked it up and went in there and did a great job. I couldn't imagine myself doing the same in Thai in Thailand, even if I spoke Thai at the same level that my wife speaks English.

As we were driving to her interview, I saw a restaurant-bar named "The Plantation," and below the name were the words, "Where soul food was created." I couldn't help but think of how it would be for a restaurant for Jews to be called "The Concentration Camp."

I'm watching Bill Moyers and his wife on Charlie Rose talking about their upcoming series on religion. I'm now looking more forward than ever to seeing it. And I'm more grateful than ever that Charlie Rose is back with us.

It was 102 in Sacramento today, and it's supposed to be hotter tomorrow and hotter still Saturday and Sunday. I'm glad I don't mind the heat more than I do.

No comments: